|Date Posted||May 26, 2021|
|Address||Wisconsin or Illinois|
The Director Office of Sponsored Research is responsible for the direction, implementation, coordination, performance, monitoring and growth of the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) which centrally supports the Advocate Aurora Research Institute’s (AARI’s) grants and contracts adiministration and operations sponsored by industry, federal and non-federal granting agencies and foundations. The OSR oversees the Research Business Services Office (RBS), the Sponsored Programs Office (SPO) and Research Billing which provide a variety of pre- and post award support services related to clinical trials, scientific programs, research centers and research services. This position can be based in the greater Milwaukee or Chicago area.
- Directs the OSR operations in a manner that balances risk and reward ensuring quality management of research support services in an efficient and fiscally sound manner, consistent with prevailing policies, local, state and federal codes, regulations and guidelines, standard operating procedures and industry standards in alignment with Advocate Aurora Health’s (AAH’s) mission and vision as well as the strategic imperatives of AARI ensuring competitive, customer-centric, ethical, safe and compliant research operations.
- Provides readiness assessment, strategic planning, direction and oversight of the OSR working with managers of RBS and SPO and other team members ensuring resilient, trained, engaged, and high performing teams, processes, and infrastructure are in place to provide quality support services, monitoring and appropriate audit responses over core activities for study budgets, contracting, negotiation, billing, post award grant management and other pre-and post-award activities, administration and related business operations. Seeks innovative approaches for improving operational efficiency and minimizing start-up times to meet or beat industry standards.
- Supports the mission of AARI and AAH through participation and leadership in various committees, councils, workgroups, workshops that strengthen AARI processes/procedures, resolve complex issues, assure we work on the best projects, better engage investigators and more to create system value and help AAH’s patients live well.
- Develops and maintains strong, collaborative, effective relationships and communication channels across all internal stakeholders including leaders and team members across AARI; AAH departments including Finance, Accounting, Legal, Compliance, Privacy, Revenue Cycle and Service Lines; and with scientific and clinical investigators to help ensure transparancy, resolve issues, delays and bottlenecks and support growth.
- Cultivates, supports, and enhances existing and new collaborative relationships with industry, government sponsors and academic institutions to help accelerate study startup times as well as to identify new or strategic funding opportunities to establish or grow research in support of AARI and AAH objectives as well as enhance AARI research capabilities, reputation, visibility, and competitive edge.
- Works collaboratively with finance, accounting and revenue cycle to develop financial management controls, manage and reconcile revenues and expenditures within approved budget objectives and support revenue growth and bottom line contribution margin goals.
- Works closely with AARI leadership to implement and monitor strategic initiatives, standardize processes/ procedures, and develop reports/metrics to enhance data-driven decision capabilities, institute-wide operational effectiveness and activity dissemination; provide direction and support for electronic data and technology resources necessary to assess successful implementation and routine monitoring of research initiatives, activities and reporting needs.
- Develops, analyzes, implements and administers policies and standard operating procedures to assure efficient and effective operations, consistent with federal and other regulatory bodies. Evaluates effectiveness, efficiency, quality and value of research activities through standardized measurements.
This position can be based in the greater Milwaukee or Chicago area.
Must be available business hours with flexibility and occassional travel.
Licenses & Certifications
Master's Degree in Health Care Administration, or
Master's Degree in Finance or related field.
Required Functional Experience
Typically requires 7 years of experience in developing and executing strategies for sponsored translational, clinical trials research programs, and/or research administration, preferably in a healthcare or academic medicine environment.
Required Management Experience
Includes 3 years of management experience in management of staff, budgets, and research functions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Proven experience and expertise in managing and administering research with a commitment to scientific excellence, sustainability, and innovative thinking necessary to maintain research efforts at the forefront of science and business and translate research into practice.
Ability to manage multiple, concurrent complex projects and deadlines. Experience in developing and managing complex group processes and negotiations.
Demonstrated working knowledge of research administration and managing the business of research in health services. Knowledge of grant/contract application, negotiation and award processes, regulations and regulatory processes required to conduct preclinical and human subject research.
Ability to work in a complex corporate system environment.
Excellent problem solving, conflict resolution, diplomacy, and communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees.
Ability to develop and maintain positive, goodworking relationships with employees, sponsors, physicians, corporate leaders, civic and community leaders and other professionals.
Firm understanding of budget and research contracting principles. Understanding of healthcare data, processes, workflows, and research methodology with strong analytical, logic and creativity skills.
Experience in negotiating a variety of agreements including data use, material transfer, research collaboration, clinical trial, academic affiliation, private practice research affiliation and others.
Ensures discretion, confidentiality and compliance at all times.