|Location||Milwaukee or Chicago, WI or IL|
|Date Posted||January 29, 2021|
|Address||1020 North 12th Street, Suite 401|
The Director Research Development & Business Services is responsible for the direction, implementation, coordination, evaluation and growth of research operations (budget planning, contracting, billing) across the Advocate Aurora Health Research Institute.
Responsible for the overall successful performance of research studies, initiatives and operations. This position assures quality management of research services in an efficient, effective and fiscally sound manner, consistent with prevailing policies, regulations and standard operating procedures (SOPs). Coordinates research operations in a manner that maximizes financial return, timeliness and effectiveness while minimizing risk and exposure. Maintains processes for data and information gathering necessary to assess successful implementation and routine monitoring of research initiatives, activities and reporting needs. Ensures discretion, confidentiality and compliance at all times. Cultivates, supports, and enhances existing and new collaborative relationships with industry, government sponsors and academic institutions. Seeks innovative approaches for improving operational efficiency within the Advocate Aurora Health Research Institute and aligns new resources with research opportunities which promote the strategic imperatives and priorities of the Advocate Aurora Health Research Institute, LLC.
- Establishes and administers business operational strategic priorities for the support of translational and clinical research activities in alignment with Advocate Aurora Health’s mission and vision as well as the strategic imperatives of the Advocate Aurora Health Research Institute.
- Provides strategic planning, direction and oversight of research operations which encompass budget management, sponsor contracting and billing, as well as agreements such as collaboration, data use, business associate, clinical trial, confidential disclosure, academic affiliation, etc. Participates in the contract negotiation process, prioritizing caseload, and providing timely follow-up on status of budgets and contracts and collaborating with research centers in meeting clients’ needs. Facilitates acquisition of resources to conduct studies and identifying potential internal and external opportunities along with funding sources.
- Works collaboratively with the research financial analyst, accounting and revenue cycle to develop financial management controls, manage and reconcile revenues and expenditures within approved budget objectives.
- Provides leadership and direction for the implementation of new programs and initiatives to grow research opportunities, advance medical and health outcomes, and procure funding which leverages Advocate Aurora Health system resources and investment. Identifies new funding sources to seed research projects. Develops and implements research priority initiatives that include support of assets such as the specimen biorepository.
- Develops and enhances Advocate Aurora’s research capabilities, reputation, visibility, and competitive edge. Develops and implements an institute-wide reporting system for research to facilitate preparation and dissemination of routine reports on operational activities which tracks and summarize research activity for internal and external dissemination purposes.
- Works collaboratively with the Vice Presidents and other leaders of research to implement and monitor strategic initiatives & standardized processes/procedures and report metrics; provide direction and support for electronic data and technology resources.
- Develops, analyzes and implements policies and standard operating procedures to assure efficient and effective operations, consistent with federal and other regulatory bodies. Evaluates effectiveness, efficiency, quality and value of research activities through standardized measurements. Provides leadership with data driven metrics to improve performance and achieve strategic initiatives. Directs, promotes and supports high quality, safe, compliant and cost effective operational activities.
- Identifies strategic funding opportunities to establish or grow research. Works with the Sponsored Programs Office to enhance research funding opportunities and ensure sufficient resources are available to support strategic research initiatives and programs.
- Provides administrative leadership to ensure the implementation of ethical, compliant, and high quality research practices and educational experiences within the Research Institute.
- Participates with leadership teams in development, assessment and implementation of research policies and SOPs.
Master's Degree in Health Care Administration, or Master's Degree in Finance or related field.
Typically requires 7 years of experience in developing and executing strategies for sponsored translational, clinical trials research programs, and/or research administration, preferably in a healthcare or academic medicine environment. Includes 3 years of management experience in management of staff, budgets, and research functions.
Proven experience and expertise in managing a scientific research program with a commitment to scientific excellence and innovative thinking necessary to maintain research efforts at the forefront of science and preclinical/clinical research studies. Ability to manage multiple, concurrent complex projects and deadlines. Experience in developing and managing complex group processes and negotiations. Demonstrated working knowledge of scientific program design, research and evaluation theories/strategies, current literature in health services and medical research. Knowledge of grant/contract application and award processes, regulations and regulatory process required to conduct preclinical and human subject research. Ability to work in a complex corporate system environment. Excellent problem solving, conflict resolution, diplomacy, and communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees. Ability to develop and maintain positive, good-working relationships with employees, sponsors, physicians, corporate leaders, civic and community leaders and other professionals. Firm understanding of budget and research contracting principles. Understanding of healthcare data, processes, workflows, and research methodology with strong analytical, logic and creativity skills.