|Date Posted||July 17, 2021|
|Address||1525 River Road|
The Scientific Data team provides stakeholders across Genus with data pipeline and ingestion capabilities, data storage and modeling expertise, and data access for projects critical to the growth of the business and overarching delivery of prototype solutions to internal and external customers. The Principal Data Software Engineer will be directly responsible for management, development, and data design; driving the infrastructure requirements, technical architecture, and corresponding development approach, methodologies, and rigor to ensure a successful delivery of platform capabilities. Not only will the successful candidate architect cutting edge solutions, but they will also help with core development when needed. The candidate will also be responsible for architecting and implementing robust data pipelines and standardized solutions using methodologies that can be adapted for multiple use-cases and consumers of data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as the people leader for the Scientific Data development team, providing coaching, leadership, and support to the individual contributors within the team.
- Establish development best practices and initiate formal code reviews.
- Implement and manage an Agile software development process.
- Work with Product Management and external stakeholders to decompose features to build a prioritized, well-groomed backlog that is easily understood by the development team (Epics, Themes, Features, User Stories, Tasks).
- Work closely with the Enterprise Architecture, IT, and other project-based teams across Genus to ensure a common technical framework and platform-centric approach is being taken for development of our data and analytics platform.
- Work with Genus IT and the Enterprise Architecture team to provision cloud development, test, and production environments.
- Institute an overarching technical framework, architecture, and development methodology that will scale and provide flexibility to not only the consuming teams, but also the development team.
- Develop and implement a process to handoff or transition a project to “catching team” or “pulling program” who will take the technology through the remainder of the release process to production readiness.
- Create a documentation framework and methodology to that the scaling up of team members or 3rd parties with which we may choose to engage is simplified and our development approach is understood.
- Work with the Genus IT team to standardize on tools and software for backlog capture, code repositories, tasking, branching code, and version control.
- Implement a definition of "done" involving stake holder sign off, code review and testing.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience in software development using Agile methodologies
- 8+ years of experience working high performance data environments
- 5+ years of building scalable, robust API integration and implementations
- 5+ years of experience working with public cloud vendors (Azure, AWS, GPC)
- Strong programming skills with proficiencies inPython, SQL, Java, and C
- 5+ years of experience of technical and talent leadership in software development settings or teams.
- 4-year degree in STEM or other appropriately related subject area
- Experience in cloud native development and deployment environments
- Experience with Computational optimization strategies
- Experience in Agriculture, Biotechnology, or another related Scientific fields.
Capabilities and Behaviors:
- Lives and always displays the Genus ABS Values and behaviors in their day to day ways of working.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in Company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the department.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the Company’s business and the department’s role within the company.