|Date Posted||July 18, 2021|
|Address||1525 River Road|
This position reports to a Senior Scientist within the Trait Development team and will perform molecular and cell-based experiments directed towards the discovery of beneficial traits in dairy, beef, and porcine systems. The Research Specialist is expected to participate in a team that is collaborative, enthusiastic, and engaging. The candidate must be able to design and execute molecular biology and cellular assay experiments in a timely and accurate manner.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute high quality cellular and molecular biology experiments to meet established goals.
- Together with Trait Development Scientists, Research Specialist will summarize and interpret data, share results across Trait Development team, and design new experiments based on results.
- Control, maintain, and be accountable for research facilities, equipment, and other resources.
- Provide solutions to researchers within and across projects by identifying problems and opportunities impacting goals.
- Remain current on new technology by reviewing literature, participating in professional meetings and career development activities, and encouraging others to bring information into research activities.
- Maintain laboratory notebooks and record experiments in a timely fashion in accordance with laboratory notebook compliance guidelines.
- Contribute to scientific publications and conferences.
- Implement and monitor safe working practices while adhering to and promoting Genus core values.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in genetics, molecular biology, cellular biology, veterinary medicine or other relevant discipline, with either 3-5 or 1-3 years of experience after graduation, respectively.
- An understanding of livestock agriculture and diseases associated with dairy, beef, or porcine is preferred.
- Experience with DNA and RNA molecular biology (extraction and analysis, PCR, cloning and vector construction), and protein expression analysis (flow cytometry, protein purification, Western, ELISA).
- Demonstrated ability in mammalian cell culture, especially stem cell or primary cell culturing.
- Familiarity with cell-based assays.
Capabilities and behaviors:
- Live and display the Genus values at all times in their day-to-day activities.
- Maintain professional verbal and written communications with co-workers, internal and external customers, and vendors at all times.
- Be flexible with respect to job responsibilities and consistently strive to be an effective team member.
- Strive to advance your skills and display a willingness to accept future development.
- Actively participate in company training opportunities to further develop skills applicable to the team.
- Gain an understanding of the company’s business and the team’s role within the company.