|Date Posted||January 3, 2021|
|Address||525 Verona Rd|
When you're part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you'll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you'll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Scientist III (Madison, WI) reports to the Sr. Manager, Manufacturing and Operations (Madison, WI) and is a key partner in the manufacturing and operations function, contributing to an organization of approximately 20 employees and $7M+ product and service revenue. This position is responsible for providing technical expertise and executing projects and work orders that support the portfolio of custom projects, services, and the manufacturing of >350 cellular products used by drug discovery customers.
How will you make an impact?
The Scientist III functions as a technical leader and manufacturing scientist for an operations team responsible for cell-based products and services. This individual will be expected to apply a strong understanding of cellular biology and technical knowledge to provide significant contribution to business execution and strategic direction. The Scientist III is a critical part of the Technical Leadership Team and will drive technical decisions for the business. The position will also be expected to perform functional QC on products and apply critical thinking to resolve discrepancies. The position requires attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize accordingly. The Scientist III is a role model leader that adheres to the regulations of our Quality Management System and drives continuous improvement strategies.
What will you do?
- Maintain a safe work environment, a high level of safety awareness among associates, and implements 5S principles.
- Possess excellent communication skills and live the Thermo Fisher Scientific 4-I core values of Integrity, Intensity, Innovation, and Involvement.
- Provision cells to meet customer requirements. Maintain suspension and adherent cell lines in a variety of backgrounds utilizing aseptic technique and manufacturing batch records. Work in a sterile environment to dispense and cryopreserve cells according to customer specifications.
- Support cell-based product manufacturing through problem solving and development of innovative solutions.
- Demonstrate leadership by presenting a solution-minded approach to solving complex problems. Apply critical thinking to design and execute cell-based custom protocols. Use thought leadership to conceptualize and conduct assay protocols in order to deliver high-quality data to customers.
- Consistently act as a role model through positive and productive influence. Maintain a high degree of professionalism through internal and external customer interaction. Collaborate within cross-functional teams and with customers to drive new service initiatives, supporting customer collaborations, and execution of service projects.
- Support the Quality Management System. Maintain documentation including manufacturing batch records, writing SOPs, and updating existing documents as processes change. Initiate document control process for major changes and use reporting processes for CAPA/root cause analysis.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement. Identify opportunities to enhance and execute on process development.
- Work independently and prioritize accordingly to achieve tasks. Exhibit good time management skills to manage multiple projects across numerous technologies ensuring project completion within the allotted timeframe.
- Embrace the role of a Technical Coach, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and leadership as you develop others using your technical subject matter expertise.
How will you get here?
- Requires a Bachelor's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related discipline, or the equivalent knowledge and experience. Advanced degree is a plus.
- Requires 5+ years of laboratory experience with a BS or MS degree, or 2+ years with a PhD
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong leadership and decision-making ability.
- Experience with adherent and suspension cell cultures, preferably mammalian and insect backgrounds
- Familiarity with ISO-9001 QMS
- Experience with life sciences industry, high-throughput screening, fluorescence-based assays, and drug discovery is preferred.
- Familiarity with compound library screening and CRISPR technology
- Works in office environment and laboratory environment.
- Interacts with subordinate, peers, superiors, suppliers and customers on a daily basis.
- <5% travel