|Date Posted||January 19, 2021|
|Address||441 Charmany Drive|
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Research Associate I, with some guidance from more experienced scientists, works on projects which are moderate to complex in scope. The Senior Research Associate I participates in planning of projects and experiments and is responsible for the execution of experiments and analysis of data. Working in a team setting, the Senior Research Associate I will primarily be involved in Research and Development projects actively participating in translating research ideas and concepts into the product development pipeline towards development of diagnostic assay products.
This Sr. Research Associate I will help to explore new technologies, ideas and concepts in application of early cancer detection.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct bench level experiments within a specific product or technology area and identifies problems and discrepancies.
- With some guidance, plan and analyze results of bench level experiments within a specific product or technology area.
- Operate scientific instrumentation related to performance of duties and notify appropriate personnel of any problems.
- Effectively utilize and apply methods or technologies and provide ideas for new techniques, when appropriate.
- Maintain knowledge of technological industry developments that could assist in completion of an assignment or aid in the development of new processes or procedures.
- Provide technical input and participates in decisions affecting project planning and experimental design.
- Prepare and provide information and generate data for scientific abstracts/conferences/project meetings/publications.
- Follow research plans and experimental outlines to write experimental protocols and perform laboratory experiments.
- Maintain lab notebook in a complete and consistent manner, following all legal, ISO, and QSR requirements, as well as keeping clear and complete.
- Prepare reports and documentation providing the analysis or summarization of experimental results and outcomes to supervisor, technical teams/groups, or project teams.
- Present experimental results, scientific ideas and findings, information, and updates at project or departmental meetings.
- Present clear project summaries and outcomes in written and verbal formats to supervisor and other members of the scientific team.
- Work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Work on individual assignments and with project team members, as appropriate, to meet department and project objectives.
- Work within project timeframes that are established collaboratively by team members.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgement to interpret results, analyze data, and present findings in a professional and knowledgeable manner.
- Ability to train and mentor junior level research associates.
- Ability to organize, present, and convey moderate problems or issues.
- Ability to communicate clearly with supervisor and group members.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively within team and department.
- Strong attention to detail skills.
- Ability to effectively work on several varied projects at one time, with frequent changing priorities.
- Understanding of GMP, ISO, and Quality Systems.
- Successful in analytical, problem solves and decision-making skills.
- Successful in technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others, and independent thought.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to lift to 20 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment including microscopes, microtomes, blades, strainers, pipettes for extended periods of time.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Ability and means to travel between Madison locations.
- Ability to travel 5% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences, Mathematics, or related field.
- 3+ years of relevant experience.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in molecular biology and /or biochemical techniques.
- Working knowledge of statistical and mathematical methods in biology/genetics.
- Basic computer skills to include Internet navigation and Email usage.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point).
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Master's degree in Life Sciences, or related field.
- 5+ years of industry experience.
- Experience in an FDA-regulated environment, ideally in medical device development.
- Experience in a biotech manufacturing environment, preferably in an GMP and/or ISO environment.
- Proficient in various molecular biology and/or biochemical techniques.
- Good understanding of genomic databases and software.
- Previous experience working in a molecular diagnostics/clinical laboratory setting.
- Previous experience with DNA extraction, bisulfite treatment, and PCR.
- Familiarity and experience with cGMP, cGLP, and CLSI guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-functional setting.
- Demonstrated technical writing skills.